Happy to report that I had such an awesome time at my first FARM conference (Folk Alliance Region Midwest)! I would almost go so far as to say it was a game changer for me in my musical path… it left me feeling inspired and encouraged, and I came home with a new sense of clarity and resolve. Navigating the murky waters of a music career (especially a performing songwriter career) is challenging to say the least, but experiences like FARM help me once again tighten my bootstraps and keep chugging forward.
Highlights from FARM include:
- Being selected to perform for the DJ/Venue showcase (thanks to KRNL’s Bryan Katz-James!)
- Playing a number of awesome private showcases (led by a bunch of lovely hosts)
- Presenting to my fellow musicians on web presence (cause giving back feels good)
- Hearing Peter Mulvey’s seriously noteworthy keynote address
- Checking out Iowa City for the first time (and eating some amazing Iowa City food)
- Making a bunch of new friends (yay!)
- Listening to live music practically all day long (good live music I should add)
- Discovering a bunch of musicians/songwriters that I’m totally in love with.
So obviously I can’t leave you with that final point and not share my new finds 🙂
Notes: I had to leave FARM a few hours early, and this was the last act I heard just before heading out, and boy am I glad I stayed long enough to hear them! Good music that also makes you laugh just can’t go wrong. Don’t just skip to the music if you want a real taste of their hilarity.
Notes: I’m definitely a sucker for a father daughter duo, but that aside, these two have the most sweet and earnest songs.
Notes: These guys gave me chills. Songs that hit your heart hard with truth. Plus it doesn’t hurt that they look like they came straight out of the 1920’s.
Notes: Out of everyone on this list, I had the hardest time picking just one song to share for Robin. His songs are quirky, funny, thought provoking… plus he is a damn good guitar player. I chose this one cause I support the message SO MUCH I even bought his shirt that says “Chicks Dig A Big Amygdala”. Also, thanks to the song, I now know how to pronounce “amygdala”.
Matthew Michael & Christina Marie
Notes: Sadly these guys don’t have an album out yet so nothing for me to show, but this couple has some gorgeous stuff. Think Civil Wars on anti-depressants.
You can follow them on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pg/matthewandchristina